As you know each Wednesday night we host a chat on twitter and as the person who is responsible for scheduling these chats I wanted to get your input about what sort of topics you would like to discuss and if there are any authors you would like to see as a guest.
We want you to gain something from these chats and my having a little insight into the topics that interest you will go a long way into helping us do just that.
You can leave your suggestions here email them to me at nicole at yalitchat dot org or via twitter @WriteSpell
Here are some topics I'd like to suggest.
- How to create a Teen villian?
- What makes girls fall in love with your male characters in spite of the female love interest?
- What are the limits in creating YA horror blood in gore, body count, etc?
I apologize if any of these ideas have been done recently. These are all topics that have been on my mind lately!
-It would be nice to schedule some craft discussions in the upcoming months. Maybe a chat about story structure (three act structure, set pieces, rising & falling action, etc.), pacing (how it works & how to improve it), or using powerful language (strong verbs and nouns, avoiding adverbs, etc.). Or a general craft tips & tricks chat.
-I'd LOVE a chat on strong female protagonists in YA! What makes a heroine strong, how we do and don't relate to them, and so on.
-Even better, a chat on body image in YA.
Great ideas! Keep'em coming! :)
- Lesbian & Gay Characters in YA
- Is YA too sexy?
- Is YA too violent?
- What about strong characters that aren't strong? (I'm thinking about how Harry Potter wasn't necessarily boy wonder until the last book, but he was a strong character despite being an ordinary kid.)
- What makes a book unputdownable?
- What makes for a good plot?
- Which stereotypes are overdone in YA today?
Sorry if they've been done before, new to the group, hoping to be online for the chat tonight!
Thank you! I've added some of your suggestions to our chat. Keep them coming. It's so important to us to make sure we discuss topics that are of interest to you, and that you can take something away from.
Woot! I'm looking forward to these chats. :)